Monday, October 12, 2015

Go Set A Watchman-Know Who You Are



So I finished listening to it today. If the rumor is true about Harper Lee writing this first and the publisher saying no. I can see why. If the rumor isn't true.....well we'll just go with it. Jean Louise is all grown up in this book and we learn a few life lessons about Scout, Hank, and Jim as they were growing up in little bursts along the story. I don't want to say too much about the book because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I do want to leave the statement from Uncle Jack when he is talking to Jean Louise to "Know who you are". I think this is the most profound statement Harper Lee could have ever made to a generation she was writing to and about in the lower south. And I have to say lower south b/c if you weren't raised in it you really don't understand how much this phrase hits home. This statement meant so much to me in where I am in life.

If you know me well you know I'm a Christian and if you don't know me well--the cat is out of the bag. I know who I am and what I believe in a time when so many people and actions make you think you may know yourself and sometimes you aren't too sure. Knowing who you are, are you willing to stand up for what you believe and are you willing to stand up for other people who may not have the voice in the situation you are in. Don't put people on a pedestal b/c they will fall off.


That's all I am going to say. And again I listened to it via audible and really enjoyed Reese Witherspoon's narration.

No comments:

Post a Comment